We are excited to share with you the details of this year's Virginia Tech's Southwest Ag Research and Extension Center Ram Test. We had a highly successful inaugural year in 2012, which continues each year, with strong participation from breeders around the region. This program is unique and created with much discussion and interest across the industry. Through the forage-based ram performance test, designed specifically to quantify growth and parasite resistance in rams.
The 2018 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test program is set to begin on Tuesday, May 29 with delivery. We will be accepting nominations for the 2018 Southwest Virginia AREC Ram Test program next spring. Please see the information below. The 2018 SW AREC Ram Test Sale and Field Day are set for Friday, September 21.
- 2018 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test
- Virginia Tech Southwest Agricultural Research & Extension Center, Glade Spring, VA
- Rules and Entry Packet
- Nominations are due MAY 1st.
The program purpose is:
- To provide a standardized post-weaning performance evaluation of growth and parasite resistance that will furnish records which will be useful to the consignor's breeding program.
- To serve as an educational tool for the sheep industry.
2018 Southwest AREC Sheep Field Day and Ram Test Sale - A sheep field day and educational program will be held at the Southwest AREC on Friday, Sept 21. Katahdin rams participating in the forage-based ram test at the AREC will be offered for sale.
|Nomination Deadline||May 1|
|Ram Delivery||Tuesday, May 29|
|Acclimation Period (3 weeks)||May 29 - June 19|
|Start Test||June 19|
|14-day Interim Date||July 3|
|28-day Interim Date||July 17|
|42-day Interim Date||July 31|
|56-day Interim Date||August 14|
|Off-Test (70 days)||August 28|
|Sale & Field Day||Friday, September 21|