Southwest AREC Ram Test Program
2020 Southwest AREC Virtual Sheep Field Day
Friday, October 23, 2020
Our annual field day will be held as an online webinar this year and will include timely topics including updates on sheep research at the SW AREC, the ram test, and other information.
Stay tuned for additional details.
We regret that due to circumstances associated with COVID-19 we were unable to host the Southwest AREC Ram Test Program in 2020. Thank you for your interest and understanding, and we look forward to resuming our annual Ram Test Program in 2021!
Virginia Tech's Southwest Ag Research and Extension Center Ram Test was initiated in 2012, and is the only program in the U.S. evaluating rams through a forage-based performance test designed specifically to evaluate post-weaning growth and parasite resistance. The test provides a mechanism for which ram lambs can be evaluated among rams from other flocks in a common environment, with the top end of the rams offered for sale at the conclusion of the program. Since inception, the program has had strong participation from breeders across the country, as well as sent rams to multiple states through the sale. This program is unique and created much interest across the industry.
The 2020 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test program is set to begin in late May with delivery. Please see the information below.
- 2020 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test
- Virginia Tech Southwest Agricultural Research & Extension Center, Glade Spring, VA
- Rules and Entry Packet
- Nominations are due MAY 1st.
The program purpose is:
- To provide a standardized post-weaning performance evaluation of growth and parasite resistance that will furnish records which will be useful to the consignor's breeding program.
- To serve as an educational tool for the sheep industry.