Southwest AREC Ram Test Program
Virginia Tech's Southwest Ag Research and Extension Center Ram Test was initiated in 2012, and is the only program in the U.S. evaluating rams through a forage-based performance test designed specifically to evaluate post-weaning growth and parasite resistance. The test provides a mechanism for which ram lambs can be evaluated among rams from other flocks in a common environment, with the top end of the rams offered for sale at the conclusion of the program. Since inception, the program has had strong participation from breeders across the country, as well as sent rams to multiple states through the sale. This program is unique and created much interest across the industry.
The 2022 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test program is set to begin May 31st with delivery. Please see the information below.
- 2022 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test
- Virginia Tech Southwest Agricultural Research & Extension Center, Glade Spring, VA
- 2022 SWAREC Ram Test Rules and Consignment Packet
- Nominations are due MAY 1st
- Annual Field Day and Ram Sale will be held Friday, September 23rd
|2022 SWAREC Ram Test Dates|
|Nomination Deadline||May 1|
|Ran Delivery||Teusday, May 31|
|Acclimation Period (3 weeks)||June 1-June 21|
|Start Test||June 21|
|14- day Interim Date||July 5|
|28- day Interim Date||July 19|
|42- day Intermin Date||August 2|
|56- day Interim Date||August 16|
|Off-test (70 days)||August 30|
|Sale & Field Day||Friday, September 23|
The program purpose is:
- To provide a standardized post-weaning performance evaluation of growth and parasite resistance that will furnish records which will be useful to the consignor's breeding program.
- To serve as an educational tool for the sheep industry.
Field Day Topics:
- Selection for Parasite Resistance in Katahdin Sheep- Dr. Andrew Weaver, Assistant Professor and Extension Specialist, Small Ruminants, North Carolina State University
- Southwest AREC Ram Test Program 2012-2019: What We’ve Learned- Dr. Scott Greiner, Professor and Extension Specialist, Virginia Tech
- Utilizing NSIP and EBV’s in Your Production System- Lee Wright, Senior Research Associate/Superintendent, VA Tech Southwest AREC
- Update on Available Assistance from VSU Small Farm Outreach Programs for Southwest VA- Mandy Fletcher, Small Farm Outreach Program/Agriculture Agent, Virginia State Univ.