We regret to announce that we will not be having the Southwest AREC Ram Test Program in 2020.
We share the disappointment of all involved, however in the interests of safety and abiding by policies and procedures currently in place in response to COVID-19, we arrived at this difficult decision after much consideration.
At this time, we hope to host our annual field day at the station on Friday, September 18. Please watch for more information as the date draws nearer. Additionally, we are working on plans to connect our ram test consignors with potential buyers given the absence of our sale this year.
More information and details forthcoming. Thank you for your interest and understanding, and we look forward to resuming our annual Ram Test Program in 2021!
Virginia Tech's Southwest Ag Research and Extension Center Ram Test was initiated in 2012, and is the only program in the U.S. evaluating rams through a forage-based performance test designed specifically to evaluate post-weaning growth and parasite resistance. The test provides a mechanism for which ram lambs can be evaluated among rams from other flocks in a common environment, with the top end of the rams offered for sale at the conclusion of the program. Since inception, the program has had strong participation from breeders across the country, as well as sent rams to multiple states through the sale. This program is unique and created much interest across the industry.
The 2020 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test program is set to begin in late May with delivery. Please see the information below. The annual Southwest AREC Ram Test Sale and Field Day will be hosted Friday, September 18, 2020.
- 2020 Virginia Tech Southwest AREC Ram Test
- Virginia Tech Southwest Agricultural Research & Extension Center, Glade Spring, VA
- Rules and Entry Packet
- Nominations are due MAY 1st.
The program purpose is:
- To provide a standardized post-weaning performance evaluation of growth and parasite resistance that will furnish records which will be useful to the consignor's breeding program.
- To serve as an educational tool for the sheep industry.
- 2020 Southwest AREC Sheep Field Day and Ram Test Sale - A sheep field day and educational program will be held at the Southwest AREC on Friday, Sept 18. Katahdin rams participating in the forage-based ram test at the AREC will be offered for sale.
- Article on Impact of the Program
- 2019 SWAREC Ram Test Catalog-9/12/19
- 2012-2019 SWAREC Ram Test Summary