David R. Notter
Ph.D., 1977, University of Nebraska
M.S., 1974, University of Nebraska
B.S., 1972, Ohio State University
• National Science Foundation Fellow, 1972-75
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Nebraska
• ALS 5105 Population Genetics
• APSC 5004 Graduate Seminar
Dr. Notter conducts research in the genetic evaluation of livestock, the design and implementation of breeding and selection programs, and the conservation and utilization of animal genetic resources. Specific areas of interest include genetic control of seasonal breeding in sheep, resistance to gastrointestinal parasites in small ruminants, and the estimation of breeding values for sheep, meat goats, and alpaca in association with the U.S. National Sheep Improvement Program.
- Notter, D. R. and N. E. Cockett. 2005. Opportunities for detection and use of QTL influencing seasonal reproduction in sheep: a review. Genet. Sel. Evol. 37(Suppl. 1):39-53.
- Notter, D. R., R. C. Borg, and L. A. Kuehn. 2005. Adjustment of lamb birth and weaning weights for continuous effects of ewe age. Anim. Sci. 80:241-248.
- Mandal, A., K. P. Pant, D. R. Notter, P. K. Rout, R. Roy, N. K. Sinha, and N. Sharma. 2005. Studies on inbreeding and its effects on growth and fleece traits of Muzaffarnagari sheep. Asian-Australasian J. Anim. Sci. 18:1363-1367.
- De Marchi M., M. Cassandro, C. Targhetta, M. Baruchello, and D. R. Notter. 2005. Conservation of poultry genetic resources in the Veneto region of Italy. Anim. Genet. Resources Information 37:63-74.
- Notter, D. R. 2005. Complementarity of conservation approaches. Proc. Intern. Consultation on Options and Strategies for the Conservation of Farm Animal Genetic Resources. Montpellier, France, November 7-10, pp 80-84. Available at: http://www.fao.org/AG/AGAInfo/programmes/en/genetics/documents/ITWG-AnGR4/MontpellierAnGR-Papers.pdf.
- Davis, G. H., L. Balakrishnan, I.K. Ross, T. Wilson, S.M. Galloway, B.M. Lumsden, J.P. Hanrahan, M. Mullen, X.Z. Mao, G.L. Wang, Z.S. Zhao, Y.Q. Zeng, J. J. Robinson, A.P. Mavrogenis, C. Papachristoforou, C. Peter, R. Baumung, P. Cardyn, I. Boujenane, N.E. Cockett, E. Eythorsdottir, J. J. Arranz, and D.R. Notter. 2006. Investigation of the Booroola (FecB) and Inverdale (FecXI) mutations in 21 prolific breeds and strains of sheep sampled in 13 countries. Anim. Repro. Sci. 92:87-96.
- Mandal, A., F. W. C. Neser, P. K. Rout, R. Roy, and D. R. Notter. 2006. Estimation of direct and maternal (co)variance components for pre-weaning growth traits in Muzaffarnagari sheep. Livestock Sci. 99:79-89.
- Mandal, A., F. W. C. Neser, D. R. Notter, P. K. Rout, and R. Roy. 2006. Genetic parameters for direct and maternal effects on body weights of Muzaffarnagari sheep. Anim. Sci. 82:133-140.
- Vanimisetti, H. B. and D. R. Notter. 2006. Predicting genetic merit for total weight of lamb weaned. Proc. 8th World Congr. Genet. Appl. Livest. Prod. CD-ROM communication no. 04-09 (4 pp.).
- Notter, D. R., L. A. Kuehn, and R. M. Kott. 2007. Genetic analysis of fibre characteristics in adult Targhee ewes and their relationship to breeding value estimates derived from yearling fleeces. Small Ruminant Res. 67:164-172.
- Vanimisetti, H. B., D. R. Notter, and L. A. Kuehn. 2007. Genetic (co)variance components for ewe productivity traits in Katahdin sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 85:60-68.
- Notter, D. R., R. L. Baker, and N. E. Cockett. 2007. Preface: The outlook for quantitative and molecular genetic applications in improving sheep and goats. Small Rum. Res. 70:1-3.
- Kuehn, L. A., R. M. Lewis, and D. R. Notter. 2007. Managing the risk of comparing estimated breeding values across flocks or herds through connectedness: a review and application. Genet. Selec. Evol. 39:225-247.
- Borg, R. C., D. R. Notter, L. A. Kuehn, and R. W. Kott. 2007. Breeding objectives for Targhee sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 85:2815-2829.
- Brillard, J.-P., G. Gandini, J. Gibson, D. Notter, D. Pilling, B. Rischkowsky, and H. Semianer. 2007. Methods for Conservation. In: Rischkowsky, B. and D. Pilling (Eds.) The State of the World’s Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, pp. 443-475.
- Roy, R., A. Mandal, and D. R. Notter. 2008. Estimates of co(variance) components due to direct and maternal effects for body weights in Jamunapari goat. Animal 2:354-359.
- Kuehn, L. A., D. R. Notter, and R. M. Lewis. 2008. Assessing genetic gain, inbreeding, and bias due to different flock genetic means in alternative sheep sire referencing schemes. J. Anim. Sci. 86:526-535.
- Kuehn, L. A., D. R. Notter, G. Nieuwhof and R. M. Lewis. 2008. Changes in connectedness over time in alternative sheep sire referencing schemes. J. Anim. Sci. 86:536-544.
- Notter, D. R. 2008. Genetic aspects of reproduction in sheep. Reprod. Domes. Anim. 43(Suppl. 2): 122-128.
- Leeds, T. D., M. R. Mousel, D. R. Notter, H. N. Zerby, C. A. Moffet, and G. S. Lewis. 2008. B-mode, real-time ultrasound for estimating carcass composition in live sheep: Accuracy of ultrasound measures and their relationships with carcass composition. J. Anim. Sci. 86:3203-3214.
- Notter, D. R., D. L. Thomas, and D. F. Waldron. 2008. Biological and economic consequences of the FecB mutation in the U.S.A. Workshop Papers, Helen Newton Turner Memorial International Workshop on Using the FecB (Booroola) Gene in Sheep Breeding Programs. Pune, Maharashtra, India, Nov. 10-12, pp. 118-125
- Silva, P., X. Guan, O. Ho-shing, J. Jones, J. Xu, D. Hui, D. Notter, and E. Smith. 2009. Mitochondrial DNA-based analysis of genetic variation and relatedness among Sri Lankan indigenous chickens and the Ceylon jungle fowl (Gallus lafayetti). Anim. Genet. 40:1-9.
- Mandal, A., F. W. C. Neser, P. K. Rout, R. Roy and D. R. Notter. 2009. Estimation of direct and maternal genetic parameters for greasy fleece weights in Muzaffarnagari sheep. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 126:22-29.
- Kuehn, L. K., R. M. Lewis, and D. R. Notter. 2009. Connectedness in Targhee and Suffolk flocks participating in the U.S. National Sheep Improvement Program. J. Anim. Sci. 87:507-515.
- MacKinnon, K. M., J. L. Burton, A. M. Zajac, and D. R. Notter. 2009. Microarray analysis reveals differences in gene expression profiles of hair and wool sheep infected with Haemonchus contortus. Vet. Immunol. Immunopath. 130:210-220.
- Kushwaha, B. P., A. Mandal, A. L. Arora, R. Kumar, S. Kumar, and D. R. Notter. 2009. Direct and maternal (co)variance components and heritability estimates for body weights in Chokla sheep. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 126:269-277.
- Fincham, J. R., J. P. Fontenot, W. S. Swecker, J. H. Herbein, J. P. S. Neel, G. Scaglia, W. M. Clapham, and D. R. Notter. 2009. Fatty acid composition of diets, metabolism, and deposition in subcutaneous adipose tissue of pasture and feedlot finished cattle. J. Anim. Sci. (Accepted for publication).
- Borg, R. C., D. R. Notter, and R. W. Kott. 2009. Phenotypic and genetic associations between lamb growth traits and adult ewe body weight in western range sheep. J. Anim. Sci. (Accepted for publication).
- Borg, R. C., D. R. Notter, and R. W. Kott. 2009. Genetic analysis of ewe stayability and its association with lamb growth and adult production. J. Anim. Sci. (Accepted for publication).
- 3090 Litton Reaves Hall