Virginia Tech’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and Virginia Cooperative Extension bring the resources of Virginia’s land-grant universities to the people of the Commonwealth and beyond through Virginia Agricultural Experiment Stations. The Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension (MARE) Center is one of 11 centers located in Virginia.
The MARE Center has a number of projects, programs, and regular events to connect equine land managers and horse owners with the latest science-based information promoting equine and environmental wellbeing.
- Tait Golighty, Superintendent
- Sally Johnson, PhD, Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of Agriculture
- Leads the equine exercise program, including research and teaching focused on understanding mechanisms mediating muscle and tendon repair.
- Erica Feuerbacher, PhD, Associate Professor
- Leads the behavior program and encompasses research, extension, and education focused on modifying and understanding motivations behind horse behavior.
- Robin White, PhD, Associate Professor
- Leads the equine nutrition program and it includes research and teaching focused on designing better diets for horses through the life stages.
- Sandy Arnold, Youth Equine Extension Associate
- youth outreach
- David Gerrard, PhD, Chair, Department of Animal and Poultry Sciences